Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What does this mean?

It's another hot, hot day here. And we had terrible thunder storms with windblown rain. I spent a good bit of time running about with towels to sop up water from spots in front of windows we don't usually have to close when it rains. Earlier in the day I had finished reading the new Harry Potter. I can't believe the events of the book hadn't leaked out. I was FLOORED. Enough said about that, though. Don't want to spoil the plot for anyone! Anyhow, what with the strange weather and the magical reading, I was only a bit surprised when I returned to my spot at the kitchen table to discover this scene. I know that I myself had arranged it, as I was the only one home (besides the puppies, but had they been able, they would have undone the knitting and eaten the phonebook), but I don't recall taking the phonebook from it's drawer. What do I make of it? Perhaps a closer look will help in the analysis...

Very mysterious, don't you think?

Following Franklin's suggestion, I'm going to learn how to tink. Seems a useful skill to know, and I feel it would bring me a certain peace of mind. So, do I take my knitting tomorrow to SUMMER PLANNING?

Ah, summer planning. This will be my second year at this event. Last year went fairly well. Summer planning is when a group of teachers plus the principal and superintendent get together to map out our schoolwide professional development, etc. for the following school year. We'll have this meeting over the course of two days at a swell facility in a pretty building with nice views. Last year my best buddies were with me; this year I'm flying solo in a sense. My principal is a very firm believer in agendas, and with stuff like 30 minutes to "look at the agenda" and "set goals," while later getting a chance to "whip around" and "list pluses and deltas" on the schedule, I'm already feeling a touch upset in the stomach region. I tend to shy away from jargon like "pluses and deltas" though I know it's all friendly and positive and upbeat. Anyhow, I like to have a hand in my future, so that's why I go. Wish me luck. I think I'll leave the knitting at home. I'm going to need all of my wits about me to avoid agreeing to something icky for the rest of the faculty and myself.

On another completely different note, Phil got his last postcard from my trip to Chicago. This one was actually for him and the puppies. It's a post card of THE Seurat, and I picked it because there are three dogs in the painting. Phil showed it to the pooches and had them help him find all the dogs. Joe Pete found the big lab-like dog, Miss O. found the little terrier sort, but it took Milton's acute sensibilities to identify the tiniest pooch in the background. Here he is at work:


Time to review the agenda for tomorrow (wait--we'll have half an hour to do that together first thing!) Guess it's off to bed.

9 comments:

obscure said...

Reading the phone book over your shoulder! Halcyon in Bath is a must! However, you'll want to become a spinner & weaver as well as knitter. Korner Knitting in Standish is a nice, friendly little shop. I live in CT now, but checked it out last fall with my sister-in-law who lives in Freeport.

If you discover more especially nice yarn stores in southern Maine, please post. I don't get "home" as often as I'd like, but am always on the fiber trail.

Your knitting is looking great!

Sister Sue said...

I'm glad to hear that Korner Knitting is nice--that's the closest one to where I live. I scoped it out a while back as a place to take Franklin on his next visit, but it looks like I'll be checking it out before then!

Franklin said...

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. This is how it begins, I hear.

Do learn to tink - it beats the heck out of starting over and it's very easy. I've just been doing it, myself.

You already know this of course, but never ever take your knitting to a business meeting (even a large one with presentations and such). People will see the knitting and assume you aren't paying attention - as though touching yarn causes a blockage in the ears.

No, better you should do what the others do - doodle in your notebook or sleep with your eyes open. For some reason, the people who run meetings have no problem with either of those.

Anonymous said...

I not sure what it means, but from the looks of your knitting you are coming right along. Franklin is right it won't belong and you will be knitting hats and scarfs for your pups.

Sorka said...

Ahhhh thank you! Thank you for a peek into the yarn shops of Maine! I am headed there the first week of September and plan to at least hit Halcyon. We will be Down East in Rockland/Owl's Head Its a pity such a nice town as Rockland has no yarn shop..At least not the last time I was there. And Interweave Press Knitter's magazine gets their non knitted clothing items at the Black Parrot there.. and EXCELLENT shop. Perhaps they have an LYS now? Or somewhere close?
At least I can sit at the used book shop/cafe and knit away!

Oh and I agree leave the knitting at home I take it to church (not Sunday mornings though) but I think a business meeting would not fly!

Sean said...

Hello there...I love the post. I found my way over here from Franklin's blog. I love it when someone new discovers knitting! Anyway, the REAL reason I'm commenting is I cannot believe what I just read in HP6...I MUST discuss with someone. LOL. I'm devastated...

Cheryl said...

I am a "tinker" too. Anytime I have ripped out knitting and/or crocheting more than a couple rows at a time I end up with a knotted mess!!!
I have the new HP but haven't read it yet... hmmm...

Mama Lu said...

For boring meetings, you have to play what was called the Sermon Game in our family, because my mother taught it to us so we wouldn't fidget in church during the sermon. It sounds stupidly easy. All you do is listen until the speaker says a word that begins with "A" and then "B" and then "C" and so on. You have a look of rapt attention on your face, but you're not hearing a word. It's also good for funerals of people you didn't actually know (if such occasions make you cry).

A warning against playing it in a goup. My husband was at an interminable training session, and had the people around him playing. When the speaker said words beginning with one of the rarer letters ("K" or "Q", for example), someone would invariably say "Yes!" under their breath, and the whole table would erupt in laughter.

It comes in very useful for graduations and political rallies as well. Give it a try.

When you start planning your vacation around yarn stores, you'll know you're really hooked. If you head north a bit, Nova Scotia is the home of www.fleeceartist.com and www.tradewindknits.com ... yarn pusher, who me?

Dhi said...

Welcome, Sue. You have now reached the "yarn inkling" phase. This is good. You are right on target for the complete knitting take-over as soon you, too, will be driving with your knee while working a hat. I swear to dog.

PS. I'm only on Chapter five! but I was 30mins late to work this morning because I just had to keep reading during my coffee slurping. I think I may be calling in "sick" tomorrow, as now you've got me worried!